Friday, November 19, 2010

Convenience vs Free Price


This is what I feel like when I have the desire to download some music: 
Do I feel bad for the artist in that they are not going to get paid if I illegally download the song? 
         NO they have enough money anyway! 
Do I worry about catching a virus from this site if I illegally download the song? 
         NO so many of my friends use this site so I should be fine too.... I hope! 


Music used to be so simple. You listened to it on the radio for free, but you didn’t get to say what would be played, and there were lots of commercials. If you went to a concert, you paid. And if you bought a CD, you paid. People copied CDs to blank disks and passed them on to friends. Stealing music was when you shoplifted a CD from the store - not the downloading of free music from offline. 


However, from the discussion in class I have done a self-evaluation on how I prefer to obtain music and I would have to say I am a convenience person. I have signed up for far too many free music sites that in time are closed down for copy right reasons. Above all is the annoyance of finally having the song downloaded and it is full of voice-over and ads I can't even hear the original song! 


Yes, even though iTunes has raised their prices for a song from $0.99 to $1.29, I still always end up going to them for the final product. I do not have time to sit and shop through the 374 uploads of Lady GaGa's Alejandro to find the one that sounds somewhat coherent. Using iTunes I pay the price for immediate satisfaction and that's fine to me for now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment